NDT (Non destructive testing) It importance, codes and standard and 8common methods.
What is NDT?
NDT (Non destructive testing) refers to an array of inspection techniques that allows inspectors to collect data about a material damaging it.
NDT may also be called :
NDE: Non destructive examination or evaluation
NDI: Non destructive inspection
In the field, NDT is often used as an umbrella term to refer to non destructive inspection methods, inspection tools or even the entire field of non destructive inspections.
Importance of NDT Non destructive testing in quality control
Non-destructive testing is a crucial aspect of quality control, helping to ensure that components are manufactured to the correct standards and specifications.
NDT is used across many industries, including aerospace, oil and gas, nuclear, power generation, medical, rail and general manufacturing. As the tests do not destroy or alter the part being tested, they are highly valuable and can save time and money.
Common methods of NDT include visual testing, penetrant testing, magnetic particle testing, eddy current testing, radiographic testing and ultrasonic testing. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. With advancements in digital control and imaging, other techniques have been developed including phased array ultrasonic testing, time of flight diffraction, digital and computed radiography, phased eddy current and pulsed eddy current.
Jobskills training institute non-destructive testing (NDT) training courses give you a comprehensive understanding of the processes where tests are conducted on a component without causing damage to its structure.
We offer courses focusing on all the main methods of NDT, so you can choose what training is right for your business.
NDT Non destructive testing codes and standards
NDT techniques can be used for all kind of inspection. But some of the important type of NDT inspections are of assets and boilers and pressure vessels which could be dangerous if not properly maintained. These codes and standard typically require inspections to be conducted periodically following specific guidelines. for the most asset that presents the greatest risk these inspections must be both conducted by a certified witness working for a formal inspection body.
Here are the most commonly followed organization in the world for creating NDT standards and code.
- API: AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE
- ASME: AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
- ASTM: AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIAL
- ASNT: AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR NON DESTRUCTIVE TESTING
- COFREND: FRENCH COMMITTEE FOR NDT STUDIES
- CSA GROUP: CANADIAN STANDARD ORGANIZATION
- CGSB: CANADIAN GENERAL STANDARD BOARD
Why use NDT Non destructive testing?
- SAVINGS: The most obvious answer to this question is that NDT is more appealing than destructive testing because it allows materials and object being examined to survive the examination unharmed, thus saving money and resources.
- SAFETY: NDT is also appealing because almost all NDT techniques except radiographic testing are harmless to people.
- EFFICIENCY: NDT methods allow for the thorough and relatively quick evaluation of assets which can be crucial for ensuring co0ntinued safety and performance on a job site.
- ACCURACY: NDT methods have been proven accurate and predictable, both qualities you want when it comes to maintenance procedures meant to ensure the safety of personnel and the longevity of equipment.
The 8 most common NDT Non destructive testing methods
There are several techniques used in NDT for the collection of various types of data, each requires it own kind of tools, training and preparation
Here are the 8 most commonly used NDT techniques
- Visual NDT
- Ultrasonic NDT
- Radiography NDT
- Eddy current NDT
- Acoustic emission NDT
- Liquid penetrant NDT
- Leak testing NDT
- Magnetic particle NDT
Where is non destructive testing used?
There are specific industries that require NDT and have formalized processes for it use, as codified by those organization we listed above like API and ASME.
These industries include
- Oil and gas
- Power generation
Where can i get the best NDT Non destructive testing training in Nigeria?
After reading the benefits and importance of NDT training, the question is where can you get NDT training in Nigeria? The answer is simple, JobSkills Training Institute. They are professionally trained to provide best training as regards NDT, and are been awarded with recognized certificates.
JobSkills training institute has branches for NDT training in Lagos State, Delta state, Rivers state.
Contact Our Customer Care
Call or WhatsApp +2348164085555, +2349076777762.
All you need to do is REGISTER NOW and be rest assured of getting the best NDT training in Nigeria.