Confined space pose a number of physical and environmental hazards to a worker and it is critical that employers understand the risks, those most vulnerable and hazard mitigation techniques.
Have you ever worked in a confined space?
When we think of a confined space, it is easy to only imagine them as being very small areas that are only present underground. Although, underground confined spaces are many, examples are tanks, silos, storage bins, vaults and water supply towers are a handle of a confined space that exist above ground. Thus, confined space do not necessary have to be small areas to fall under this category.
What is a confined space?
A confined space is any area that has limited or constraint entry or exit. even if the entry is partially closed, a space is still considered as a confined space as the worker is unable to enter or exit freely. most confined space were not meant for human inhabitance but are temporarily occupied by workers as they complete employment duties. Due to entry and exit barriers confined space pose a multitude of hazards sometimes lack of ventilations is a key hazard with entry into a confined space. However, confined space can also include more spacious examples, they are not always rooms and sometimes has limited boundaries
Here are 5 reasons that confined space training is so important
1. Confined space training helps workers understand what constitutes a confined space as well as increases awareness of the hazards that one can expect to find in a confined space. Increasing awareness to the dangers of confined spaces makes workers more alert to these dangers and results in them exercising increased caution, which results in fewer injuries, and more lives saved.
2. Confined space training discusses the importance of atmosphere testing and how such testing can better help workers prepare to enter a confined space and what equipment they will need to work safely in that environment. The more information a worker has before entering that confined space the more likely a worker will be to get in, perform the necessary and work to get back out of that confined space safely.
3. Confined Space training will also help managers and companies determine the risks associated with a specific type of confined space. This will help them to make decisions in regards to the type of equipment necessary to ensure the safety of their worker as well as allow them to put into place emergency procedures that could save a life should an accident occur. It also allows them to develop a system of checks in order to help monitor the situation when workers are working in a confined space.
4. Those in charge of those workers that enter confined spaces need to know their obligations in regards to ensuring a workers safety. Confined space training will discuss both the legal obligations that a company must shoulder in terms of seeing that all those working in confined spaces have the proper qualifications and certificates that are needed before any worker works in this type of situation.
5. Confined space training should not just be taken by businesses but farm workers too who may have to enter silos and other confined spaces on their farm and can benefit greatly from knowing the safest way to enter and exit these places and how to protect themselves while working inside this type of environment. Your family depends on you and keeping yourself safe is one way of protecting your family.
Knowing what to do and how to do it when faced with a situation will help to avert panic and allow your training to take over which could save you from serious injury and may even save your life. Knowing what to do before you enter a confined space, what to watch for while you are in that confined space and how to get out safely will ensure that you will be free to complete the job at hand without undo worry about your safety.
What are the most common hazard in confined space entry?
A recent study identified 8 main causes of confined space accident that lead to injuries namely:
- Toxic atmospheric hazards
- Flammable atmospheric hazards
- Physical hazards
- Biological hazards
- Chemical and process related hazard
- Poor quality air.
What is required before entry into a confined space?
Before entry into any confined space, a trained and experienced person should identify and evaluate all the existing and potential hazards within the confined space.
What are the legal requirement in regards to confined space entry?
The safety, health and welfare at work confined space regulations covers all work in relation to confined space regulation states that:
- A person should not carry out work in confined space if it is reasonably practical that it could be avoided.
- If the work must be carried out hazard identification and risk assessment must be carried out prior to work commencing.
- A person shall not enter a confined space unless there is a system of work in place that has been planned, organized, performed and maintained so as to render that work is safe and without risk to health.
- Anyone entering a confined space must be provided not appropriate information, training and instruction appropriate to the characteristics of proposed work activities.
Where can i get the best training on confined space entry in Nigeria?
After reading the benefits and importance of confined space entry training, the question is where can you get confined space entry training in Nigeria? The answer is simple, JobSkills Training Institute. They are professionally trained to provide best training as regards confined space entry, and are have been awarded with recognized certificates.
JobSkills training institute has branches for confined space entry training in Lagos State, Delta state, Rivers state.
Contact Our Customer Care
Call or WhatsApp +2348164085555, +2349076777762.
All you need to do is REGISTER NOW and be rest assured of getting the best confined space entry training in Nigeria.